Narni in Umbria is first referred to as "Nequinum",
a populated nucleus dating back to about 600 BC. By 299 BC, Narni
had become a Roman colony named "Narnia". The name comes from the nearby Nar river, which is called the Nera today.
In 233 BC, Narni became an important fort along the newly
constructed Via Flaminia, and in 90 BC it became a township. The Roman emperor
Nerva was born at Narni.
Narni suffered from the invasions of the Longobards and Goths due
to its militarily important position, but nevertheless flourished and became a free
town in the
11 C. Narni reached its period of major splendour during the 12 C and
the 14 C. During the Renaissance, the Narni was often the working location
of famous artists including Rossellino, Ghirlandaio, Vecchietta, Antoniazzo Romano and
Spagna. In 1527,
Narni was betrayed and fell to the Lanzichenecchi, who sacked it. Artists such as the
Zuccaris, Vignola, Sangallo and Scalza participated in restoring the town, and in 1664 the municipal library was founded.
The Roman Bridge of Augustus was built in 27 BC, and
was one of the two tallest road bridges ever built by the Romans, along with the Alcántara Bridge in Spain (ca. 42 m high).
The Narni Roman bridge was 160 m long and its remaining arch is 30 m high. The
view of the bridge is extremely romantic and among the many artists who
painted it the best known is Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot whose famous 1826 painting,
"The Bridge at Narni", hangs in the Louvre. (More
The Cathedral is Romanesque and contains works by Rossellino and other famous
The Church of St. Francis dates from the 8 C and
contains School of Narni frescoes.
The Palazzo dei Priori was constructed in 1275 probably by Gattapone of Gubbio and
is situated in the mediaeval square of the same name.
The Town Hall was constructed in 1273 by uniting three towers. Inside, one can
admire the Coronation of the Virgin , painted in 1486 by Ghirlandaio,
St. Francis with Stigmata by Spagna, the Annunciation by Benozzo Gozzoli and an Egyptian mummy of the
4 C BC. At the back of the square, there is a fountain dating back to the year 1303.
The Scotti Palace contains its frescoes by Zuccari (1581).
The Gardens of St. Bernard, from which there is a
view of the splendid Nera valley, provides an entry to the subterranean rooms of St. Dominic
The antique Church of St. Dominic is now the
location of the
Library and the State Archives
The Church of St. Restituta and the adjoining convent
complex include the Church of St. Augustine (14 C), which is rich in works of art, and the
Church of St. Margaret with an interesting cycle of frescoes attributed to
Just outside Narni is the mighty Rocca Albornoz which was constructed around the year 1370 by Ugolino of Montematre for Cardinal Egidio Albornoz and has been
The Cave of St. Francis, 18 km from Narni, has interesting
14 C and 15 C frescoes.
The fortified Abbey of St.
Cassiano (Abbazia di San Cassiano) is located right in front of the
The Abbey of St. Angelo in Massa.
The proto-Romanesque Church of St. Pudenziana, 6 km
Corsa all'Anello Festival
The Corsa all'Anello Festival is one of the best
mediaeval festivals held in Umbria.
Worth a visit. More about the
town of Narni in Umbria.